KEMPERTHERM® Tapered Insulation
Benefits of Single-Layer Tapered Insulation
A tapered insulation system is a method of providing effective thermal insulation and reliable drainage for a new build or roof refurbishment project. It comprises a series of bespoke components which combine to create the required insulation performance and drainage falls.
STRATEX is offered as a single-layer tapered insulation system. Carefully manufactured components are bonded together in factory conditions to form a bespoke solution. These are supplied ready to fit as a single scheme equivalent to the actual roof area and are simply installed as per the agreed plan and secured to the roof deck.
Unlike our STRATEX single-layer system, with a multi-layer system multiple components laid over flat ‘packer’ boards are bonded together, layer by layer, on-site. The total surface area to be bonded can be up to three times greater than the actual roof area. This can create increased time and cost penalties.
There are other methods of creating a tapered scheme; screed to falls and timber firings. However, these can add significantly to building load (screeds) and are often labour intensive to create, and rely heavily on other trades.
Technical and Cost Benefits of Single-Layer Tapered Roof Insulation Systems
- A wide variety of falls available to suit the project
- Any thickness possible to satisfy even the most demanding U-values
- Compatible with KEMPEROL® liquid waterproofing membranes (including use in green roofs)
- Adhere to MMC principles – off-site manufacturing ensures:
- - Precise tolerances
- - Reliable bonding under factory conditions
- - Accurately pre-cut mitres
- - Improved environmental characteristics - reduced waste both at factory and on-site
- Less time required to install
- Lower overall material and labour costs
- No bonding between layers required on-site
- An average 16% saving on insulation cost can be achieved compared to a multi-layer tapered equivalent.*
* Source – independent research carried out by construction consultancy, Davis Langdon
If you would like further information about our tapered roof insulation system or to enquire about our other services, please click on the button below.